Bed Bug Control Tips
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING SIMPLE IDEAS TO HELP ACHIEVE BED BUG CONTROL.
Inspect, Inspect, Inspect
- Listen to occupants and carefully inspect the entire infestation area with a flashlight, to identify all pockets of infestation. Bed bugs have been found in uncommon places such as smoke detectors, books, electronic equipment, etc.
Develop a Treatment Plan
- Communicate the plan and expectations to the occupants. Always prioritize safety. Bed bug treatment usually requires more than one technician and often requires multiple visits.
- Remove all items from floor, underside of bed, and closet floors. Inspect, treat or carefully dispose of all infested items.
- Vacuum all visible bed bugs. Move furniture 2-3 feet from wall. Vacuum carpet throughout room, beneath furniture and in closets. Add insecticide dust to vacuum bag before disposing.
Treat Along Carpet Edges
- Pull back carpet from the baseboard and dust or broadcast spray with an appropriate insecticide.
Cracks & Crevices; Wall Voids
- Treat all cracks and crevices, wall and furniture voids, behind picture frames, behind the bed headboard and all carpeted surfaces.
- Broadcast spray mattress and box spring with alcohol-free, water-based insecticide approved for this use. Encase treated mattresses and box springs after drying.
Wash & Dry on High Heat
- Launder all bed sheeting and clothing on high heat. Place items that cannot be laundered in dryer on high heat.